Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day with a "Treat"


Mother's Day is right around the corner (as in tomorrow, if you haven't thought about it you should probably hop to it).

Treat Greetings is a company through Shutterfly that really is a showstopper when it comes to cards.  I was so impressed with the great quality of the paper that the cards are made from and the variety of the designs and styles to choose from.

Even the shipping envelope is cute for crying out loud.


They have so many options to change and personalize any card that you choose and that's what makes this company so creative and versatile. Not to mention that they also have super cute digital card options which I intend to use for my parent volunteer at the end of the year!



I loved that you could add a little picture to the back of the card. I added a picture of my mother in law's "grand babies" aka our dogs.

To go with this wonderful card, I decided to craft my mother in law some burlap banners. She just moved into a house and no one likes blank walls.  She saw this online and asked me to replicate it with some leftover burlap that she had.


In order to take up more wall space I decided to make three separate "signs" rather than a banner.

This was the final product.


What you will need to make these are:

  • 1/4 inch copper pipes (3)
  • 1/4 inch copper pipe caps (6)
  • Jute twine (found at Walmart in the home improvement section) and colored yarn
  • Chalkboard spray paint
  • Heavy card stock
  • Tacky glue
  • Hot glue gun
  • Burlap
First I used a shape to trace onto the heavy card stock and then cut them out. I just used some leftover card stock that I had in a color that I probably would never use again. Might as well recycle while gifting! :)

Spray the paper with the chalkboard spray paint.  It took me a few coats to get even coverage.


While that's drying, braid the twisted jute twine and the yarn together.  You don't have to add the colored yarn, but I thought it would be a nice pop of color since burlap is just so beige.


My braids ended up being around 24 inches (2 feet) long each and that seemed to be good length with extra room to spare.  You may need to glue the caps on to the copper pipes because mine were pretty loose.

Next step, cut a round rectangle out of another piece of card stock to use as a template to trace onto the burlap.  Make sure you make it a little taller than you would want normally so that you have an inch or so extra fabric to wrap around the copper pipes with the hot glue later.


Once those are cut out you can start gluing them to the copper pipes.  This was kind of hard to photograph but just glue as you wrap the burlap around until it feels secure. I only wrapped it around once and it felt fine and sturdy. If you scroll through the next four pictures really fast it might feel like a moving picture show! :)


Did you enjoy that??? ;)

Tie on your braids into knots on to the ends of the copper pipes. I didn't glue my knots down because I liked the option to slide the knots wherever you would want them. Cut away the excess braid.

Now you can glue on those spray painted card stock papers.


Just use a thin layer of that tacky glue and it will be perfect.

And voila! You have some beautiful hand crafted copper chalk board signs just begging to be hung up on your wall.


Chihuahua photo bomb.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers out there! You all are incredible and I admire all of your hard work, patience, and unwavering love for your children! I hope you are given a day full of love and pampering that you so deserve. :)


4 comments: