Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Oopsies

The title says it all! I haven't posted in quite a while!
The past few days I have been at Outdoor Ed with my 5th graders. Nothing like spending 36 straight hours with your students for a little bonding time. I actually really enjoyed being able to spend time with my students outside of the classroom.  And I learned several things along the way that I would like to share with you...

1. 5th graders can eat 3 hot dogs, a bag of chips, carrot sticks, applesauce, an exorbitant amount of mustard, ketchup, and ranch, and will still be hungry.

2. At least 4 students will insist that they don't need a coat while star gazing at freezing temperatures. Meanwhile, I was wrapped like a mummy and am pretty sure I could have chipped my ear off with a chisel and hammer.

3. Even though you know a little girl wants to go home all day, she won't decide until 10:30 at night that her time has come.

4. While waiting for the little girl's father to come, there are very scary noises in the middle of the night in the dark. The student will comfort her teacher and let her know that those "scary noises" are just a part of nature and that everything is going to be okay. This is shamefully true.

5. Sleep? Yeah, there's none of that. Many cups of coffee are the cure.

Outdoor Ed at a lake = priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment