I have been tagged by two wonderful bloggers, Summyr at The Teachaholic and Marcia at Learning in Bliss. I am going to do my best to answer both of their great questions!
1. What's the last book you read aloud to your class?
The last book I read to my 5th graders was Sir Cumference and the Knight of Angleland. I love to read as much literature as I can to support what we are doing in math.
2. Which field trip have you enjoyed most and why?
My favorite field trip by far was going to the AZ Science Center. It is such a cool place and I loved seeing the kids discover all the things we have learned in class in a whole new way.
3. Which subject do you enjoy teaching most?
Well I am slightly partial to math (haha!) definitely my favorite.
4. What computer program(s) do you think is most effective for student achievement?
I LOVE Study Jams and Sum Dog. My students are completely obsessed with Sum Dog and it is free! You have to check it out.
5. What could you NOT teach without?
My smart board! If I could marry it, I would.
6. What is the most memorable gift a student has given you?
I love handmade gifts and any kind of a letter that a student has written me. It means so much more than a billionth bottle of lotion from Bath and Body Works.
7. Which do you prefer, having students write down their homework or posting the homework on a website?
Oooo, I am not sure! I just copy their homework, but I like the idea of posting it on a website.
8. How often do you email/call parents?
I feel like I am emailing/calling all the time! But I need to more positive phone calls/emails.
9. How do you run literacy centers?
Mmmmmmmm, well I do math centers during guided math. I put them in tubs and then have the tubs circulate from table to table when the timer is up.
10. Why did you begin blogging?
I am so inspired by all the talented teachers who blog. I feel like I have grown as a teacher so much as a result of discovering teaching blogs. I felt like if I had a blog I could share some things I was doing and get more involved in the community.
1. What is your favorite holiday project for your classroom?I don't do a whole lot of holiday projects, the district kind of frowns upon that. I did make these mini pinatas for Cinco de Mayo one year. It was a total disaster, but I loved it!
2. Which do you prefer reading/writing or math/science?
Definitely math/science. I feel my brain is more oriented that way.
3. What is your favorite piece of technology for your classroom?
My smart board!
4. What was the last thing that happened in class that made you cry?
I tried to do a fun activity with my students to review for their last benchmark by hiding math questions in plastic eggs and having the students find them and solve the questions. It was totally terrible! I had kids crushing eggs (both accidentally and on purpose) and eggs were missing. While I was in the middle of the cruelest Easter Egg hunt ever, I found out my prep was cancelled. I was holding back the tears! It's amazing how one ruined activity can totally get to you!
5. Who is your favorite children's author?
6. What is last song you listened to on your iPod or radio?
Ahhh! I don't remember! I am pretty sure Adele was on when I pulled into my garage.
7. If you could go any where on a trip, where would you go?
Europe ~ mostly France... ah... If I close my eyes it's almost like I'm there, well actually no, I think France would not have barking chihuahuas like I do now.
8. Which do you prefer winter or summer?
I love winter! Summers get so hot here in Arizona so the winters feel so nice.
9. What is your most memorable teaching experience?
I remember teaching a lesson when I taught second grade about natural and capital resources. I read a book about making tortillas, they did a sort with pictures of both resources, and then we ate tortillas! I loved that lesson.
10. Why did you decide to start your blog?
See above! Otherwise I'll just gush about all the bloggers that I love again. :)
OK so I know I am supposed to tag 10 new people, but it seems like a lot of bloggers have already been tagged! I will go a cruisin' online to gather my new crew and then continue the game.
I have testing next week, UGH! What is it about testing that is so exhausting??? I hope everyone else is either done or almost done. TOMORROW'S FRIDAY! Have a great weekend!